Saturday, June 9, 2012

Tomato Stake Extensions

Do your tomato stakes always end up being too short before the gardening season ends? I know, a lot of you use cages but by October when tomato season ends here in my neck of the woods, my tomato plants always end up about 3 feet taller than cages or stakes. I tried longer stakes but had to use a step ladder in the soft garden soil to get high enough to drive them into the ground. Anyway, ladders on soft ground isn't a good idea so I used some pieces of scrap PVC pipe, old tomato stakes and other assorted pieces of wood and a few wood screws to put together these tomato stake extensions. Do it early before your tomatoes grow too tall. Clicking on the pictures makes them bigger.



Here's more in a raised bed. That's cucumbers growing in the red pipe tower in the background. Last year I grew tomatoes in the red thing but I rotate my crops each year to prevent plant diseases and keep the soil healthy. Next year I'll grow early sweet peas in the red thing and harvest them before tomato planting time so I can grow late tomatoes in the red thing again.


In case you're wondering, I grow mostly indeterminate tomatoes as they have a much longer harvest than do determinate varieties developed for commercial growers who want to harvest their tomatoes all at once. Most of the plants and seeds being sold today are determinate but if you'll read the fine print you'll still find plenty of indeterminate plants. Indeterminate plants still give you lots of tomatoes in the summer but continue to produce steadily until frost. Just before frost I pull up my plants and hang them upside down in an enclosed shed where the green fruits slowly ripen and provide us with homegrown tomatoes until January without heat or a greenhouse. Here's an end shot showing the end of an old shovel handle inside the PVC pipe.



And this final shot shows the screw that holds it all together. The only tools needed was a saw and a drill driver with a Phillips head bit. In case you're wondering, the faucet is supplied with only rain water from approximately 2200 gallons I store to get me through the dry spells. And the runoff from my garden? It goes back into my underground water storage tanks until at which point I simply run out of storage space.